It begins in the early stages of our lives – developing a healthy relationship with food.
Eating together as a family serves a lot of different purposes.
- It allows parents to be a role model by establishing and showing their children that they are eating the same foods.
- It’s good to be social by eating together and talking about your day.
- With older children, it allows them to be part of the food preparation process and building a healthy relationship with food.
How do parents avoid being short-order cooks:
- Focus on foods as being part of what nourishes the body, helping children to grow and regenerate.
- Don’t focus on good food vs bad food
- Approach food as a matter of fact: this is what we have and what we are eating at this meal.
How to eat well daily:
- In your household, buy and have mostly fruits and veggies and good protein sources.
- Limit the processed foods – especially when children are younger they have no idea that there is anything else but healthy choices at home.
- Don’t try to control or battle over what your kids eat – If you offer healthy choices and they choose to eat it great. If not, let it sit there and they will come back to it.